Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Settling In

Well, I have officially been at work for about a month now so I have started to really settle in. At the very least I am proud of myself for finally being able to maneuver the seemingly endless corridors in the building. I've been continuing working on the Offsets report that I mentioned earlier. I've begun the final chapter which is strictly about the impact of offsets on the Defense Industrial Base. So far I have finished 2 of the 7 data sets necessary to complete it. I really am crunching the numbers! And let me tell you, there are a lot of them.

Here and there I have begun helping out working on something called COOP which refers to "Continuity of Operations". Basically this is contingency planning so the government has backup in the event of a disaster. In short, backing everything up ensures that regardless of whatever is going on in the world, the operations of the government remain intact and functioning. I have simply been updating COOP procedure and backing stuff up in case of an emergency. Won't lie, it's not as interesting as writing the offsets report but I know at least what I am doing is useful to DOC.

I'm changing up my schedule this week because I am headed to Oklahoma for Fall break. I'd be missing one of my normal days but luckily my supervisor is flexible and didn't mind that I worked a half day here and there to make it up. Everyone seems to be pretty easy-going about letting me focus on schoolwork during exams, and adjusting my schedule as necessary.

Another intern in my department starts tomorrow, his name is Victor. I was surprised at how late he would be starting compared to me but I am excited to meet him. There aren't too many young people there so it will be nice to see a new face!

No comments:

Post a Comment